Have you been given the responsibility to create a unique membership card or an employee badge? Perhaps you are wondering
- How to begin,
- How much it will cost
- How much time you need
You can make your own ID badges with an ID Card printer, An ID card printer is just as easy to operate as a desktop printer, although they have a few notable differences.
There are several benefits to handling your ID badge system yourself.
- The ability to print your card instantly tops the list.
- You also save costs when you take care of the process by yourself.
- Print as many ID cards ad you need.
Here’s a step by step guide to designing your unique ID badge.
STEP 1: DEFINE AND UNDERSTAND YOUR NEEDS
The first and most critical step to making your own ID badge is to find out what type of card you need. Imagine the style, size, color, and other specifications for the ID badge, and sketch if you can.
Here are some questions to help you brainstorm your ideas.
- Do I want to include a photograph in the ID? If yes, what size am I looking to make the photo?
- Will the ID badge be in monochrome or color? What color is the best match for the occasion?
- Will I print the feature information on one side of the card or both sides?
- Is the ID going to be used for accessing buildings, lifts, and the like?
- Will I store data in the card? (data could include membership number and information, personal information, time, and other more tangible data)
Answer these questions and write down these answers. Remember to place your answers side by side with the organization you are creating the ID badge for, and ensure that the theme, style, color, font, and other details blend with the theme of your organization.
Having done all this, you are ready to move to the next stage, which is purchasing a photo ID system.
STEP 2: PURCHASE A PHOTO ID SYSTEM
You cannot print your ID badges without an ID card printing system. The system entails everything necessary for the printing process, including
- printer ribbon
- ID card software
- ID card printer
- ID cards
The camera is essential if you will add the photographs of people on the ID card badges.
After getting your system together, you need a working computer. So, if you don’t have a computer, this is the best time to purchase one.
STEP 3: INSTALL ID SOFTWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER & SETUP YOUR ID PRINTER
Immediately after purchasing your ID system,
- Unpack the package, and
- Create a comfortable space for the installation and set up.
- Bring out your user’s guide or manual that comes with the ID system.
Follow the instructions on the manual to understand how to install a card in the card hopper, insert a ribbon, and put everything else in its rightful place.
Also, you need to
- Download the printer driver into your system. The printer driver is a CD that comes with your package.
- Install the CD to the computer you will use alongside the ID printer.
- You can also install your ID camera and ID badge software if you need them for the badges you are creating.
STEP 4: CREATE YOUR ID CARD
Once your ID system is up and running, you are ready to
- Take your first photo,
- Create your template
- Start printing.
Get in front of the ID camera, take your first photograph and import it into the ID software. From there, transfer it into an ID template.
Are you wondering where the template will come from?
Your ID software automatically comes with some templates that you can use. However, you can also create your own templates as there is an opportunity to do that.
STEP 5: REVISE AND PRINT THE ID CARD
After putting all the details, take time to review the details, photo, and the general arrangement of the ID card before you print. Once you click on ‘print,’ you can’t take it back, so preview properly before printing.
In a few minutes, your ID badge is ready to use!